Thursday 1 September 2016

Iconic Galle Face Green, Sri Lanka!

Long time no see! Hi everyone! How is everybody doing? :)
Today I'm going to show you one of the most iconic place of Colombo city: Galle Face Green!

The iconic Galle Face Green is a five hectare ocean-side ribbon strip of land, which stretches for a half kilometre along the coast between Galle Road and the Indian Ocean, in the heart of the financial and business district of Colombo. 
It's not a beach in the traditional sense where you bath - not possible due to possibly poisonous marine life - this beach, which is now the largest open space in Colombo, is only for viewing.

It's a really lovely place where children, students, tourists, lovers, friends and families gather here to spend their leisure time by enjoying the traditional Srilankan food (sold by many little street-food vendors that you can find along the walking path), playing cricket or football, very popular is flying kites or even in the evening by taking pictures of the amazing sunsets...if the weather allows you!
 
Condition that for my luck :( DIDN'T HAPPEN that only evening! 
I got to know while scrolling on Instagram that everyday at 6 p.m. (18:00) there's a Srilankan Flag Removal Ceremony held by the navy and it's quite a pretty thing to watch (at least once in your lifetime) and something even better, around that time you can clearly see the sun disappear in the waves of the Indian Ocean. ALWAYS if the weather allows it!

For the fact that I've never seen all that (or at least I can't remember it anymore) and I've got a huge passion for photography, you can clearly understand at this point why I wanted to go there!
You can definitely see from the first pic of this post that on that day the weather was as usual: very humid and sunny. So when we decided to go and see the Ocean we didn't imagine that in a split of seconds after we got to Colombo, everything would have change so drastically!
As you can see from the pics, the weather was terrible!
We arrived around a quarter to 6 p.m and we couldn't see any pole with a flag on waving to the wind (nooo)!
So we asked to two policemen on duty and they told us that usually when the navy (or the military) see that the weather is not looking good, they anticipate the ceremony to half an hour before but wait next to the pole (at any weather conditions) till is 6 p.m. and then march away!
See!!! No flag when we arrived  :((
I was heartbroken for how unlucky I was for the whole situation but I was with my baby boy cousin (not baby anymore...he will be 20 next year! haa) and with my mum, so we laughed, talked and got to eat some yummy street food for the entire evening! 
This is the beauty of this place: it gets people together and whatever you'll do, it will surely be a pleasant time!

So get out of your house or hotel or wherever you are and visit GALLE FACE GREEN in Colombo city...and maybe before going check out the weather broadcast!!!

That's all for today and I want to say sorry for being absent for quite a long time. I hope I won't take a long time again till I'll next post something but till then BYE BYEEE and THANK YOU! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

VLOG: Paris - DAY 1 and DAY 2

Ciao you guys!  How are you all doing? I've been busy with university work so excuse me if I didn't updated the blog! 🙏🏽  But her...